Transplanting part 3 - 18/01/08

I plan to grow my cabbage plants this year in a hydroponic drip systems know as the 'wilma'. The plants will be grown in a mix of coco coir (80%) and perlite (20%) so I prepare enough of the growing media to fill 10 small square pots.

Once the pots are filled the seedlings are planted in and water through with a coco coir specific nutrient solution (I use vita link coir or canna coco) at an EC of 1.2. I always water until there is solution running out the bottom of the pot to ensure all the media is sufficiently damp. The perlite helps increase the air spaces in the mix stopping the coco staying too wet, creates better drainage and helps stop compaction.

Now I've got all the seedlings planted up into larger blocks or pots they are arranged on the air pruning tray and the light is lowered to get an even distribution of light to all the plants.



To keep the relative humidity between 65-75% I have a humidification system controlled by a humidistat. Before i used these devices the relative humidity would be around 30-40% plant health was quite poor. The white Humidifier in the picture is a centrifugal HR-50 and the mist coming out the black tank is produced by 2 ultrasonic 5-disk mist makers. The mist produced by both devices is cool and in summer helps to lower temperatures too.

No comments:

Post a Comment